• Determines appropriate heat treat recipes and creates heat treat process sheets for carburizing, normalizing, quench, temper, stress relief, induction hardening, flame hardening, and other associated processes.
• Prepares and analyzes samples, including case depth and metallography analysis
• Advises repair, maintenance, and rebuild of production heat treat equipment based on sample
• analysis, furnace chart analysis, etc.
• Identifies and advises any tooling, gaging, instrumentation, or capital equipment needs for the
• heat treat facility
• Participates and supports in failure analysis
• Experience in failure, fatigue and microstructure analysis
• Detailed and diversified knowledge of metallurgical and material science principles for a wide
range of metals and other materials
• Knowledge of the global materials community and standards
• Minimum of a 4-year Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, or
Materials Science Engineering.
• 5 to 10 years of industrial experience in materials selection, failure analysis, materials
processing, steel making, materials testing, welding metallurgy and metallographic interpretation