- Performs a variety of legal secretarial and administrative support duties for assigned attorney(s), many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of property casualty operations, legal concepts, terminology, and processes.
Core Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains a working knowledge of filing fees, filing periods, court peculiarities and procedural differences of all courts and/or workers compensation boards.
- Prepares documents such as entries of appearance, notices of depositions, requests for production, and settlement documents by retrieving and using appropriate information from specific files, etc.Types complex legal pleadings, briefs, correspondence, memoranda, reports, discovery notices, responses and motions, ending with a final product suitable for filing.
- May transcribe dictation.
- Maintains a daily calendar in internal management system for attorney(s).
- Responsible for reminders to attorney(s) on all pleadings and discovery matters.
- Schedules depositions, judicial conferences, meeting with clients, doctors and other counsel for assigned attorney(s).
- May travel to courthouses to check court dockets and retrieve information on service of process, etc. and to make filings with the Courts.
- Also, may travel to law offices or elsewhere to make filings, deliveries, and pick-ups.Understands and maintains confidentiality in respect to the attorney-client relationship, HIPPA, trial strategies, Ethics rules, the identities of plaintiff, defense clients and claims customers.
- Has working knowledge of each file assigned to attorney(s); knows parties involved basic facts, general discovery, arbitration or trial status, and major discovery to be accomplished.
- Inputs and retrieves information through matter management system.
- Answers telephone, takes messages, and handles more complex inquiries.
- Directs or redirects calls.Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Experience: Three years experience as a Legal Secretary in a law office. Prefer experience in insurance defense litigation.
- Knowledge: General office practice and procedures.
- Legal concepts, terminology, and processes.
- Operations, practices, and procedures of a law office engaged in the practice of civil litigation. Filing procedures of the various courts handled by the office.
- Working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Knowledge and experience with both Personal and Commercial lines.
- Type 80 wpm.
- Command of verbal and written communication skills for contact and interaction with as attorneys, court personnel, policyholders, and claims staff.
- Ability to operate business machines such as photocopier, calculator, transcriber, and personal computer with business and legal software.
Legal , csr, customer, admin, paralegal, administrator